Yesterday morning, I was delighted to spend time with Dr. Pooky Knightsmith. Pooky directs the children, young people and schools programme at the Charlie Waller Memorial Trust, a charity that provides fully-funded mental health training to schools. She is also the vice-chair of the Children and Young People’s Mental Health Coalition, the author of a number of highly regarded books, and a regular columnist for SecEd magazine. You can find out more about Pooky’s wonderful work, and listen to her podcast, on her website at www.inourhands.com
Pooky was in Wolverhampton leading a breakfast seminar for Hays Education at Our Lady and St. Chad Catholic Academy, and I took the opportunity to record a 30 minute interview / conversation with her, and with Kevin Pace, the Service Director for HeadStart Wolverhampton.
Topics included Pooky’s decision to be so open about her own mental health challenges, working with schools and colleges to create a positive ethos for mental well-being, Sumo as a toolkit for supporting resilience, increasing acceptance for mental health issues, and the problems with diagnosing mental health ‘issues’ in Donald Trump from afar! We also discussed exciting future working with Pooky for HeadStart Wolverhampton!
Huge thanks to Pooky for spending the time with us to record the show; we hope that you find it an interesting and informative listen.
Don't forget that if you liked this episode, you can subscribe to future episodes of the HeadStart Podcast on iTunes, or by searching in your favourite podcast client for 'HeadStart Wolverhampton'
- Pooky Knightsmith on Twitter
- Pooky’s website, blog and podcast
- Our Lady and St. Chad Catholic Academy
- Pooky’s Breakfast Seminars for Hays Education
- The Charlie Waller Memorial Trust
- The Children and Young People’s Mental Health Coalition
- SecEd magazine
- Sumo (Stop, Understand, Move On)
- “Stop saying Donald Trump is mentally ill when what you mean is that he's a bad person” - The Independent
- Blind Date is coming back - The Metro
- HeadStartFM on social media