Earlier this year, the HeadStart Media and Comms team, working alongside Stone's Throw Media, spent an afternoon with the X2Y Youth Group. X2Y is a support group for LGBT young people who meet every week at The Way. We recorded the young people discussing a wide range of issues, exploring themes such as:
- Coming out as an LGBT young person
- Bullying and the use (and abuse) of social media
- The ways in which schools and school teachers support LGBT youngsters, and how schools, and teacher training might be improved.
- The 'heteronormativity' of school curricula, including sexual and relationships education
- The effect on mental health of struggling with sexuality or gender identity.
Snippets from these interviews are being creatively animated by Stone's Throw as a resource for schools, families and the community. However, while this time-consuming work is being completed, we wanted to share some of the audio snippets for Mental Health Awareness Week 2017.
Below are three audio sections, each based on a different topic. As you'll hear, the young people spoke eloquently, sometimes humorously, but always honestly, about their thoughts and experiences. We hope you enjoy listening - please share or link to this post if you think a young person or professional would benefit from hearing their thoughts.