Safer Internet Day 2018 Gallery
Safer Internet Day podcasting at Wilkinson Primary
Working with parents and children at Wilkinson Primary
HeadStart Wolverhampton and Learning Technologies Team support Safer Internet Day 2018
Safer Internet Day 2018 will be celebrated globally on Tuesday 6th February 2018 with the slogan “Create, Connect and Share Respect: A better internet starts with you”.
This slogan emphasises the positive opportunities for communication, learning and creativity that the internet provides for us all, young and old alike.
Working alongside our digital partners in the Learning Technologies Team, HeadStart Wolverhampton is supporting Safer Internet Day 2018 through a range of activities and online content for young people, schools, and parents and families.
#HealthyHabits Film Storyboard Competition
To celebrate Safer Internet Day 2018, Learning Technologies would like to invite all budding film makers in Wolverhampton to suggest ideas for a film titled #healthyhabits.
Details of the competition
LTT will work with the winning school to turn the idea into a film. The final film will be shared with other schools, supported by associated teaching and learning activities.
Ideas should focus on the positive aspects of online use – a good place to start is the Children’s Commissioner’s ‘Digital 5 a Day’ concept.
Children are used to hearing the ‘negative’ messages about the online world – the film idea should instead concentrate on the benefits of having a positive and respectful online persona, a persona that displays healthy online habits.
Judges will choose the winning entry based on:
- A creative and ‘clever’ concept that explores a number of aspects of online life (such as those mentioned in the ‘Digital 5 a Day’ model).
- An idea that clearly explores the title #healthyhabits.
- Positive messages about online life and the need for an appropriate balance between online and offline experiences.
- Remember – the submission should be an idea, not a finished film.
- Ideas can be presented in the form of a storyboard for each shot or bullet pointed lists for each shot (see attached examples).
- The locations in the film can vary – we potentially have access to a resource which could provide a variety of backdrops including a house, street, shops etc. On any storyboard or document, there should be an indication of where the action takes place.
When submitting your ideas, please indicate on them:
- School/organisation name (Wolverhampton only please)
- First names of participants
- Year Group / age of participants
Entries should be for forwarded to email@example.com or posted to Patrick Flynn, The Learning Technologies Team, Schools’ Technology Support Centre, Pool Street, WV2 4N
Closing date for entries: Friday 16th February, 2018
Wolverhampton Online Safety Survey 2018
A link to this year's Wolverhampton online safety survey has been sent out to all Wolverhampton schools.
This year's survey is designed for all students from Year 5 and above, and focuses on the emotional impact that their online behaviour can have. Both nationally and locally there is clear evidence that technology can impact on a young person’s mental well-being, both positively and negatively. HeadStart and Learning Technologies are keen to capture relevant data on these themes from young people locally to ensure that we are doing the best we can to support young people’s wellbeing in the online world.
Data from the survey will be reported on a citywide basis, and shared back with individual schools for analysis and action in modifying their curriculum, pastoral support and policies.
Note: It is important that students understand that the survey is anonymous - the only data that is captured from young people completing the survey is their school, year group, and gender.
Curated Safer Internet Day Resources on our Support and Guidance Platform
We've curated some resources for Safer Internet Day onto our new HeadStart Support and Guidance platform, including videos, webpages, research reports and downloads.
If you're a young person, professional, or parent, please take a look, and share the following link with others:
If you've got a wonderful resource to share for us to add to the resources, submit it here.